Skip to main content

Swing, swing, swing.

Let me just say, I don't mind swinging at all, but if you try to take me to the park on 500 West and 500 North. There are NO swings. More than one guy has taken me to swing there.

The first time it was cute to seem the guy look around for the swings, and say well I thought that there would be swings here. (Keep in mind that we walked there). So of course being the kind person that I am . I said that there are swings at Kiwanis.

Now, a lot of you are probably thinking. "Wait a second! That is a super long walk."

Here is my response to that from one of my favorite authors--Jane Austen…

“Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges, and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical descriptions extant of autumn...”  (Persuasion).

Though it was a long walk it was still fun.

***

However, then we get to the second date. Trying not to be blunt, I asked where we were going swinging.  When gave a muddled answer, I added. "I don't think there are swings at that park maybe, we should go to a different park." Well, I suppose I should have been more blatant because when we got to the park, he also said that he thought there were swings there.

This time, however, I think he was a little embarrassed that he hadn't listened to me. The good new is that the moment was salvaged by the random middle age battle at the park.

It was serious business--the kind that ends up on reality TV. They had painted their faces, fashioned real-fake bow and arrows. If you were hit in the arm or leg you could not longer use them by the rules of the game.  There we were watching these grown men hobbling on their knees, holding one hand behind there back and using the other to wave a dull sword madly through the air.

The sad thing is that the battle lasted only 15 minutes. It made me realize how short middle age warrior's lives could be. I don't think this dawned on these people though because right after the battle they picked up the fallen gear and began a new battle.

There were several men who came over and offered to lend us there gear for the next battle. I probably would have gone for it, but I was just having too much fun watching them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror Stories.

I just recently finished reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, and lets just say it put me in a "horror" mood. When my teacher asked us in our English class to write about things in an elevator. All I could think about was finding a note like this: If you are finding this note, and the elevator has stopped, then you will not make it out alive. Dracula was an extremely good book, which I highly recommend. However, I shouldn't read too many more horror stories--I don't seem to escape them very well.

The Curse of a Book

The last thing I heard was a slap "Don't worry, I'll be back, When you've finished that"    Turning my head not missing a beat The villain had set down--what? There laid the tale to be told.   Papers on papers, like tortuous fiends. smiled at me with dangerous edges, waiting--willing--for me to read.    "Mother" I pleaded, banging on my door "I'll do anything, everything," I begged just come play with me some more.   Silence, a moment, then again, I heard "Don't worry, I'll be back, When you've finished that."    I hit my head against the wall until the ringing in my head sounded as if bell were singing their painful groans.   When that was done, and no one listen, I took the book to pretend that I was a weight lifter.   Then, I was a track star-- Shot put to be specific. Launching it like a missile.   It came crashing down not far away. Sprawled out li

Typos

Typos are the bane of my existence. I never seem to be able to escape them. I read over my work 2 or 3 times, and then read it aloud. Over the years , my frustration with these simple and small mistakes have manifested in different ways. Once, I tried to get into an editing class and ended up with a linguistic minor. Other times, I have given up after multiple edits. However, the worst things I have done to deal with this problem are to hide my writing and ignore the problem. The truth is that as English Teaching Major, it is frankly quite embarrassing to make these mistakes because I lose credibility. Of course, when I think of asking for help, I get stuck with the dilemma of who to ask. Why would you ask a fellow English Major to read your work through? Why would you ask someone who is not an English Major? These preconceived notions of mine are useless. If I have problems editing my own work, then I am sure that other people are having the same problems as me. I don't want to