Skip to main content

Marjorie

A few months ago, I was in attendance at Marjorie's great-grandson funeral. Being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease her daughter, my aunt, had asked me to sit with Marjorie away from the crowd. She had also asked that I let her remain innocence because the previous day when she had figured out what was going on, and it was too much for her.

I sat with her on this occasion, and held her cold hands, warming them up one at a time. Most times when we met she would ask who I was, but this time it was different. She looked at me and asked me about the woman who had died. Of course, being asked to keep her in the dark. I had to be careful with my responses.

"She was young wasn't she?"

"Who?"

"The woman who died."

"Yes, she was."

"That is so sad."

"Yes."

"Did she have family?"

"Yes, she did."

"Oh, how sad."

Trying to keep back the tears, I could add no more.

In the following minutes, she repeated this sentiment.

When her other children came over to ask how she was doing she said that she was fine. They would then turn to me and ask how much she knew. I would shake my head. Then, they would nod and turn to leave.

When the time came, I lead her into the room where her great-grandson was lain making sure to keep her far away so she would not see him. We then followed the closed casket into the funeral.

This past Sunday, Marjorie past away, and this Saturday I will follow her casket. Although I am sad that I will not get to talk to this sweet woman anymore in this life, I do know that she now has her mind back. She is with her husband and great-grandson, and she is happy. Her body which had so anchored her down the past few years will no longer slow her down.

I am so grateful for the Atonement. Christ made it possible for us to return to our Heavenly Father with our families. I know that I will see Marjorie again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horror Stories.

I just recently finished reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, and lets just say it put me in a "horror" mood. When my teacher asked us in our English class to write about things in an elevator. All I could think about was finding a note like this: If you are finding this note, and the elevator has stopped, then you will not make it out alive. Dracula was an extremely good book, which I highly recommend. However, I shouldn't read too many more horror stories--I don't seem to escape them very well.

The Curse of a Book

The last thing I heard was a slap "Don't worry, I'll be back, When you've finished that"    Turning my head not missing a beat The villain had set down--what? There laid the tale to be told.   Papers on papers, like tortuous fiends. smiled at me with dangerous edges, waiting--willing--for me to read.    "Mother" I pleaded, banging on my door "I'll do anything, everything," I begged just come play with me some more.   Silence, a moment, then again, I heard "Don't worry, I'll be back, When you've finished that."    I hit my head against the wall until the ringing in my head sounded as if bell were singing their painful groans.   When that was done, and no one listen, I took the book to pretend that I was a weight lifter.   Then, I was a track star-- Shot put to be specific. Launching it like a missile.   It came crashing down not far away. Sprawled out li

Typos

Typos are the bane of my existence. I never seem to be able to escape them. I read over my work 2 or 3 times, and then read it aloud. Over the years , my frustration with these simple and small mistakes have manifested in different ways. Once, I tried to get into an editing class and ended up with a linguistic minor. Other times, I have given up after multiple edits. However, the worst things I have done to deal with this problem are to hide my writing and ignore the problem. The truth is that as English Teaching Major, it is frankly quite embarrassing to make these mistakes because I lose credibility. Of course, when I think of asking for help, I get stuck with the dilemma of who to ask. Why would you ask a fellow English Major to read your work through? Why would you ask someone who is not an English Major? These preconceived notions of mine are useless. If I have problems editing my own work, then I am sure that other people are having the same problems as me. I don't want to